Elders across the country experience many different forms of abuse, either in their homes or in nursing facilities.
Nursing home abuse may involve physical, emotional, sexual, or financial abuse. Below, our Pittsburgh personal injury attorneys dive into the specifics of the financial abuse of an elder.
What is Financial Abuse of an Elder?
Nursing home abuse involves intentional or unintentional harm committed against a nursing home resident.
Financial abuse, in particular, involves the unauthorized withdrawal or manipulation of an elder’s financial assets.
Common examples of financial abuse of an elder include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Withdrawing an elder’s money from an ATM without their permission
- Taking money or valuables from an elder’s room
- Using an elder’s financial information to sign up for subscription services
- Making unauthorized changes to an elder’s financial documents or wills
- Forging an elder’s signature on financial statements
Identifying and Reporting Financial Abuse
According to the National Adult Protective Services Association, only one in 44 cases of elder financial abuse is ever reported.
Therefore, it’s important for you to know the warning signs of financial abuse of an elder so you can report the crime to proper authorities. These warning signs include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Missing money from an elder’s bank account
- Unusual subscription sign-ups
- Sudden changes to an elder’s financial documents, including the addition of a non-family member as a beneficiary
If you suspect your loved one is experiencing financial abuse in their nursing home, bring it to the attention of the facility’s staff immediately. If the staff dismisses your concerns but you still suspect abuse, contact an experienced attorney.
Suspect Nursing Home Abuse? We’re Here to Help
At Robert Peirce & Associates, P.C., our Pittsburgh personal injury attorneys can help you and your loved one seek justice against abusers.
Contact us today at (844) 383-0565 to schedule a free consultation with our team.