Attorney Sara Watkins has been appointed to the steering committee for Suboxone. Read More Here.

What to Do If You Haven’t Received Social Security Disability Benefits You’re Owed

cash with a social security card

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is a vital form of income that you may receive when you cannot work due to an injury, illness, or other disability. However, benefits often take months to land into your bank account and, sometimes, an administrative error may delay that even more. Read on to learn what to do if you have not received the SSDI benefits you are owed.

How Long Until I Receive SSDI Benefits?

The Social Security Administration does not allow you to recover SSDI benefits until the sixth month of disability. However, it is smart to get the application process moving as quickly as possible after your injury so you can receive funds at the earliest opportunity.

In general, you can apply for SSDI by completing the following steps:

When you apply, you will need to provide the Social Security Administration with a birth certificate or other proof of birth, proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency, W-2 forms and/or self-employment tax returns, medical evidence already in your possession, pay stubs or award letters from any workers’ compensation you received.

It is important to note that only one-third of SSDI applications get approved. And, once approved, these applicants must wait six full months before receiving any compensation from the government. If you have waited the full six months and have not received the SSDI benefits you are owed, you should take the following measures:

  • Wait three days after the normal payment due date to ensure the missing transaction was not simply a banking error.
  • Report the missing payment to the Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213 or by contacting your local office.
  • Contact a qualified personal injury attorney who can ensure your documents are filed correctly and you recover the maximum possible compensation.

Need Help with SSDI? Contact Us Today

We understand that injured workers need to replace a lost source of income as quickly as possible. That’s why our attorneys at Robert Peirce & Associates, P.C. work hard to ensure your SSDI application goes through the first time, and that you recover the funds you need to care for yourself after an injury takes away your ability to work. If you’re having trouble recovering the benefits you are owed, we encourage you to contact us today to learn how we may help you.

Call Robert Peirce & Associates, P.C. at (844) 383-0565 to schedule a free consultation.

Related Posts
  • What’s the Maximum Amount You Can Recover from Social Security Disability? Read More
  • Can You Recover Social Security After a Work Injury? Read More
  • Who’s Eligible for Social Security Disability? Read More